Creatine is one of the most popular supplements used to enhance muscle growth and improve gym performance. What exactly is creatine, how does it work, and how should it be supplemented to produce the best results? What is creatine? Creatine is a chemical compound formed by three different amino acids – arginine, methionine, and glycine – and in its structure, it results similar to protein. Creatine occurs naturally in all animals from the vertebrates group and humans. Almost all creatine found in the human body (98%) is located in the muscles, while the remaining 2% can be found in the brain, liver, and kidneys. The average daily need for creatine for a medium-built person is about 2 grams, which can be delivered with the food, mainly meat and fish. Creatine is an anabolic and anti-catabolic agent, and the most important of its properties are: \tprotein synthesis support \tmuscle growth stimulation \tbody mass, strength, speed, and endurance enhancement \tATP reconstruction \ttissue reconstruction (including muscles damaged during training and as a result of increased physical exertion). All of the properties listed above result in creatine being often used by different athletes to improve their performance and accelerate the growth of muscle mass. Different types of creatine There are six different types of creatine used in supplements for athletes. Creatine monohydrate Creatine monohydrate is, without a doubt, the most common and well-researched of all creatine supplements on the market. It can be found in most shops for athletes and is proven to be effective and safe for use. Creatine ethyl ester Creatine ethyl ester has different uptake and absorption rates than other known forms. Studies show, however, that it is not as effective as the monohydrate type. Creatine hydrochloride Creatine hydrochloride is gaining recognition among athletes thanks to its good solubility in water. Supplement manufacturers claim a lower dose of this type of creatine can be as effective as a bigger dose of other variants. Buffered creatine Buffered creatine is the primary alternative for creatine monohydrate as some studies indicate its high effectiveness. Liquid creatine Liquid creatine is a creatine supplement already dissolved in water, making it easier to apply. Creatine magnesium chelate The last type of creatine supplement, creatine magnesium chelate, is effectively a supplement where magnesium is attached to the creatine molecules. When is the best time to take creatine? To make creatine intake effective, one needs to achieve the state where the body is saturated with the substance for a period of at least a few weeks. It can be achieved by implementing two methods: two-stage supplementation or constant supplementation. Two-stage supplementation In two-stage supplementation, the creatine intake cycle is divided into two phases: loading and saturation. It is necessary to consume from 10 to 30 grams of creatine during the loading phase over 5 to 10 days. After that, during the saturation phase, the creatine dose should be decreased to 5 grams and supplemented for 4 to 8 weeks. Constant supplementation Constant supplementation calls for a regular intake of a constant dose of creatine. The proper amount should be established, counting 1 gram of the supplement for every 10 kilograms of body weight. Constant supplementation can be used for a prolonged time without causing any side effects. The timing of creatine intake does not affect the efficiency of the supplementation process. However, it is important to remember, that the first effects can be visible only after a long period of regular use of the supplement. Knowing all such information about creatinine is really going to be useful and beneficial for you to say the least. You can explore other aspects of it. Further Reading \t How should you Build Muscle at Home without Weight? – A Detailed Guide \t How Important is Data Analysis in Sports Industry? \t How to Get the Most from the Best Language App for Quickly Learning a New Language?