About the Company
DBS Bank Ltd widely known as DBS is a multinational financial and banking services corporation based out of Singapore. It has its headquarter located in Marina Bay, Singapore. The corporation was founded on July 16 1968 and was recognized as “The Development Bank of Singapore Limited” till 21 July 2003. It was established by the Singaporean Government for taking away the activities related to industrial finance from the economic development board.
Today, it has more than 100 branches across the Island and is the largest by assets in Southeast Asia. It is also one of the larger banks in Asia and has total assets worth USD 518 billion as of 2017. In Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore, it has dominance in debt and equity fund-raising, securities brokerage, asset management, markets, and treasury and consumer banking. Temasek Holdings is the shareholder that is the most controlling and largest of DBS. The bank was awarded Global Finance’s “Safest Bank in Asia”, every year from 2009 till 2015 as it has a strong capital position as well as earned the credit rating of “AA-” by Standard 7 Poor and “Aa1” by Moody’s. In 2016, Euromoney awarded the bank for being “Best Digital Bank in the World”. Dbs became the first bank in history to hold the bank honors of The Banker, Global Finance, and Euromoney- the 3 most prestigious honors for a global bank. It is the first-ever bank in Southeast Asia to be listed on Dow Jones Sustainability Asia Pacific Index. Insurance and finance, credit cards, wealth management, private banking, mortgage loans, investment banking, corporate banking, and retail banking are the services provided by DBS. Today it has more than 30,000 employees worldwide and is traded as SGX: D05.
Visions of DBS
The visions of DBS are:
Making Banking Joyful
Their aim and vision are to make the banking service joyful by digital technology leveraging and embedding themselves seamlessly into the lives of their client by delivering contextual, seamless, and fast banking experiences and solutions. They want to enrich lives, drive sustainable outcomes, and transform business by being present for the long term.
A Purpose-driven Bank
It is in DBS DNA to be purpose-driven. They believe in the importance of good citizenship and are known as “People’s Bank”. They continue to be sustainable banks for years. Creating social impact, responsible business practices and responsible banking are the 3 sustainability pillars they focus on. Their SDG’s framework includes:
The enterprise is focused on three sustainability pillars: (i) Responsible business practices, (ii) Responsible banking & (iii) Creating social impact.
We use the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a framework for guiding our areas of focus, including:
- Climate Action (SDG 13)
- Responsible Consumption and Production(SDG 12)
- Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure (SDG 9)
- Decent Work and Economic Growth (SDG 8)
- Affordable and Clean Energy(SDG 7)
- Gender Equality (SDG 5)
Key Management People of DBS
- Peter Shah: Non-Executive Chairman
- Piyush Gupta: Chief Executive Officer
- Chng Kai Fong: Non-Executive Director
- Bonghan Cho: Independent Director
- Ho Tian Yee: Non-Executive Director
- Punita Lal: Independent Director
- Judy Lee: Independent Director
- Anthony Lim: Independent Director
- Olivier Lim: Lead Independent Director
- Tham Sai Choy: Independent Director
Locations and International Operations of DBS
It has 8 corporate offices in Singapore, 1 in Australia, 2 in China, 4 in Hong Kong, 1 in Indonesia, 1 in Japan, 1 in Korea, 1 in India, 3 in Malaysia, 1 in Myanmar, 1 in the Philippines, 1 in Taiwan, 1 in Thailand, 1 in UAE, 1 in the United Kingdom, 1 in USA and 2 in Vietnam.
The subsidiaries of DBS include:
- DBS Vickers Securities (Malaysia) Pte Ltd.
- DBS Bank Ltd., Research Division
- Vickers Ballas Investment Management Ltd
- DBS Insurance Agency (Taiwan) Limited
- DBS Vickers Securities (Hong Kong) Limited
- Salte Pte Ltd
- Vickers Ballas Asset Management Pte Ltd
- Kenson Asia Ltd
- PT DBS Securities Indonesia
- DBS Bank Ltd. Labuan Branch
- DBS Bank Ltd., Australia Branch
- Primefield Company Pte Ltd.
- DBS Bank Ltd., London Branch
- DBS Asia Hub 2 Private Limited
- DBS Bank (China) Limited
- DBS Bank (Taiwan) Ltd
- DBS Vickers Securities Holdings Pte. Ltd.
- DBS Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- PT Bank DBS Indonesia
- POSB Bank
Shareholders of DBS
As of February 2021, here are the largest shareholders of DBS:
19.88% by Citibank Nominees Singapore Pte Ltd
18% by Maju Holdings Pte Ltd
17.17 % by DBS Nominees Pte Ltd
11.14% by Temasek Holdings (Private) Ltd
9.07% by DBSN Services Pte Ltd
5.52% by HSBC (Singapore) Nominees Pte Ltd
3.27% by Raffles Nominees (Pte) Ltd
0.88% by BPSS Nominees Singapore (Pte) Ltd
0.45% by Lee Foundation
0.44% by United Overseas Bank Nominees Pte Ltd
Finances of DBS