About the Company
Nintendo Co., Ltd. widely recognized as Nintendo is a Japanese global company that deals with video games and consumer electronics. This company was founded in 1889 with its headquarter based in Kyoto, Japan. Nintendo was founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi as Nintendo Karuta. The company use to produce hanafuda- handmade playing cards. It ventures in different business lines including Business Development, Platform Technology Development, and Entertainment Planning & Development. The company shares are traded as:
- TYO: 7974
- OTC Pink: NTDOY
- TOPIX Core30 component (7974)
- Nikkei 225 component (TYO)
As of January 2021, it has 6,547 employees worldwide.
The mission of Nintendo is to put smiles on the faces of everyone they touch by creating surprises for people globally to enjoy together. Nintendo is committed to being accountable to its customer. The company’s goal is to deliver smiles and surprises to their stakeholders by advancing business practices that are responsible, human rights support, and maintaining high standards as they grow and learn. It deals with toys, video game consoles, and video games.
- Representative directors
- President: Shuntaro Furukawa
- Fellow: Shigeru Miyamoto
- Senior Managing Executive Officer, Entertainment Development and Planning General Manager and supervisor of Business Development Division and Development Administration & Support Division: Shinya Takahashi
- Senior Executive Officer (SEO) and Platform Technology Development General Manager: Ko Shiota
- Licensing and marketing general manager and Senior Executive Officer (SEO): Satoru Shibata
- Executive Officers
- Nintendo Sales Co., Ltd President: Satoshi Yamato
- Chief Director of Manufacturing: Hirokazu Shinshi
- Deputy General Manager of Entertainment Planning & Development: Yoshiaki Koizumi
- A Senior Officer of Entertainment Planning & Development: Takashi Tezuka
- General Manager of Finance Administration Division: Hajime Murakami
- Deputy General Manager of Business Development Division: Yusuke Beppu
- Chief Director of General Affairs: Kentaro Yamagishi
- Coo & President of Nintendo Of America: Doug Bowser
- COO & President of Nintendo of Europe: Stephan Bole
History and Timeline
1889: A small firm that manufactured “Hanafuda” playing cards was started by Fusajiro Yamauchi in Kyoto, Japan.
1890: Nintendo of America Inc. (NOA), a subsidiary wholly-owned was founded. The company started selling the Game & Watch™ product line.
1981: Donkey Kong™, a video game that was coin-operated got developed and began its distribution.
1985: In America the Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES™). Mario™ was first introduced in the Super Mario Bros.™ game.
1986: A first appearance was made by the character Link™ in the Legend of Zelda™ game for NES.
1989: Game Boy™, which was the first portable game system that was handled was introduced.
1991: In the United States, the 16-bit Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES™) was released.
1996: The Nintendo 64™ and Super Mario 64™ game was launched in the United States.
1998: Game Boy Color™. Pokémon™ was introduced.
2001: The Nintendo GameCube™ (it was the first system by Nintendo to use optical discs) and the Game Boy™ Advance systems were launched.
2004: Nintendo DS™ a dual-screen and innovative handheld gaming system was launched.
2006: Wii™ system along with many advanced features was launched.
2008: Over 10 million Americans purchased Wii in a single year.
2011: The Nintendo 3DS™ system was launched, which allowed users to play and view 3D content without special 3D glasses.
2012: The Wii U™ system along with Wii U GamePad controller and support for amiibo™ accessories was launched.
2015: The Splatoon™ game launched, introducing the squid-kids known as Inklings.
2017: The Nintendo Switch™ system, The Legend of Zelda™: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey™ came out in 2017
2019: The Nintendo Switch Lite system commenced. Specifically designed for portable play, this compact structure plays the library of Nintendo Switch games, which work in handheld mode.
Principle Affiliated Companies
As of 2021, it is reported that the company has 27 subsidiaries. Some of it include:
- Nintendo (Hong Kong) Limited
- Nintendo of Korea Co., Ltd.
- Nintendo Australia Pty Limited
- Nintendo RU LLC.
- Nintendo Ibérica, S.A.
- Nintendo Benelux B.V.
- Nintendo France S.A.R.L.
- Nintendo of Europe GmbH (Germany)
- Nintendo of Canada Ltd.
- Nintendo of America Inc.
- WARPSTAR, Inc.
- The Pokémon Company
- MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC.
- 1-UP Studio Inc.
- Mario Club Co., Ltd.
- ND CUBE Co., Ltd.
- Nintendo Sales Co., Ltd.
Apart from the above list, the additional distributor of the company is Tor Gaming, Tencent and Bergsala.
Internal Divisions of Nintendo
1. NBD (Business Development)
This division of Nintendo was formed following the firm’s foray into developing software tablets, mobile phones, and other smart devices. NBD is accountable for refining the business model of Nintendo for the dedicated smart device development and video game system business.
2. PTD (Platform Technology Development)
PTD is led by Ko Shiota and is a combination of System Development (SDD) and Nintendo’s former Integrated Research & Development (IRD) divisions. It is accountable for hardware designing and developing operating systems for Nintendo, internal network and developer environment, and maintaining Nintendo Network.
3. EPD (Entertainment Planning & Development)
EPD which is led by Shinya Takahashi is the primary software supervising, production, and development division at Nintendo. The formation of this division resulted when Software Planning & Development and Entertainment Analysis & Development divisions merged in 2015. EPD holds the largest staff concentration at the firm, housing more than 800 designers, planners, coordinators, directors, producers, and engineers.
Finances of Nintendo