Also named Sony and conventionalized as SONY, Sony Group Corporation is a Japan-based international business house with its head office in Kōnan, Minato, Tokyo. It is an eminent tech firm and it runs its business operations as one of the biggest makers of professional and consumer electronics. Sony also ranks as the biggest video game publisher and video game console maker in the world. It ranks among the biggest music companies in the world with Sony Entertainment, Inc. (2nd biggest record brand and biggest music producer).
Sony Corporation features the 3rd biggest film studio in the world that makes it one of the top all-encompassing media houses.
In terms of magnitude, Sony ranks as the biggest Japan-based media corporation outperforming the privately operated, family-held Yomiuri Shimbun Holdings that ranks as the biggest media corporation in terms of revenue in Japan.
In the image sensor marketplace, Sony Corporation enjoys around 55% market share since it is the 2nd biggest camera maker, biggest image sensor maker, and one of the stalwarts in semiconductor selling.
Sony ranks as the top player in the high-end TV market of the world for a TV set with a minimum dimension of 140 cm (55”) with a rate exceeding $2,500. It is also the 2nd biggest TV label in terms of market share. Since 2020, Sony holds the rank of the 3rd biggest TV maker in the world in terms of yearly revenue estimates.
Sony Group Corporation acts as the holding company of the Sony Group (also known as Sonī Gurūpu) which is made up of the following:
- Sony Semiconductor Solutions
- Sony Corporation
- Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Sony Entertainment (Sony Music, Sony Pictures)
- Sony Financial Holdings and others.
Sony Corporation has a feeble association with the SMFG (Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group) business division, which is the inheritor to Mitsui keiretsu.
Sony Corporation stocks are registered with the Tokyo Stock Exchange and they are traded there with the ticker symbol 6758. The stock is also a component of the TOPIX Core30 and Nikkei 225 indices with an extra entry in the shape of US depository receipts (negotiable certificates) registered with the NYSE (New York Stock Exchange) (bought and sold since 1970, turning it into the first Japan-based firm to be registered with a US-based stock exchange), and it achieved the #122 rank on the Fortune Global 500 list 2020.
Motto or catchword of Sony Group Corporation
The motto of Sony Group Corporation is Be Moved. Earlier, they used the following catchwords:
- It’s a Sony (from 1981–2005)
- The One and Only (from 1979–1982)
- make.believe (from 2009–2013)
- like.no.other (from 2005–2009)
Who are the founders of Sony Group Corporation?
Sony Corporation was founded by Masaru Ibuka, a Japan-based electronics businessman, and Akio Morita, another businessperson from the same country.
Sony Group Corporation products and services
The products and services of Sony Group Corporation can be categorized into the following:
- Consumer electronics
- Video games
- TV programs
- Telecommunications devices
- Computer hardware
- Financial services
- Credit financing
- Networking services
- Advertising agency
The new initiatives taken by Sony Group Corporation to cater to the diverse needs of its customers comprise the following:
- Airpeak – Drone development in the domain of Artificial Intelligence and robotics
- VISION-S – A path-breaking approach in mobility
- AI Initiatives – AI technology for giving a free rein to innovation and human potential
- Sony AI Inc.- The goal is to let loose human resourcefulness and innovation with AI.
- Aibo – A self-directed amusement robot that fetches delight and excitement to its possessor
- Sony Global Education- Shaping a novel academic framework for an associated society
- Triporous – An eco-friendly permeable carbon substance manufactured from rice coverings
- Toio – Toios are robotics toys that unleash ingenuity in kids. These toys are only available in Japan and provide a mind-boggling experience.
- SOLISS (Small Optical Link For International Space Station) – Exploration on tiny optical link setup for interstellar broadband communication
How many people work for Sony Group Corporation?
As of 2021, the group employs 111,700 people around the world.
How many business units does Sony Group Corporation have?
Sony Group has the following business units:
- Gaming and Network Services
- Electronics Products and Solutions
- Financial Services
- Imaging and Sensing Solutions
Corporate details – Institutional Proprietorship
Sony Corporation is a kabushiki kaisha or kabushiki gaisha that is a kind of company outlined under the Companies Act of Japan. It is listed with the Japan-based Tokyo Stock Exchange and also the New York Stock Exchange for international transactions. As of March 31, 2020, the biggest stakeholders of Sony Corporation are listed below:
- The Master Trust Bank of Japan– designated investiture cartels (8.2%) (principal account)
- Citibank (as depository bank for US depository receipt bearers) (9.4%)
- Japan Trustee Services Bank–designated investiture cartels
- Principal trust account – 6.1%
- Trust account 5 – 2.1%
- Trust account 7 – 2.4%
- JPMorgan Chase Bank 385632 – 3.2%
Sony Group Corporation Affiliated Companies
The affiliated companies of Sony Group Corporation are the following:
- Sony Marketing (Japan)
- Sony Corporation
- Sony Global Manufacturing & Operations
- Sony Semiconductor Solutions
- Sony Electronics Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
- Sony Electronics Inc.
- Sony Europe BV
- Sony EMCS (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
- Sony Global Education
- Sony Olympus Medical Solutions
- Sony Network Communications Inc.
- Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC
- Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Ltd
- Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.
- Sony Life Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Sony Financial Holdings Inc.
- Sony Bank Inc.
- Sony Assurance Inc.
- Sony Music Entertainment
- Sony Music Entertainment (Japan)
- Sony Music Publishing
All Other Companies
- Sony AI
- Sony Corporation of America
- Sony Americas Holding Inc.
- Sony Computer Science Laboratories
- Sony Global Treasury Services
- Sony Overseas Holding Inc.
Sony Group Corporation Management
Shuzo Sumi serves as the Chairman of the Board of Directors and also Chair of the Appointment Committee.
Kazuo Matsunaga serves as the Vice Chairman of the Board and Independent Director for Sony Corporation.
Kenichiro Yoshida is the present Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer of Sony Corporation.
Shigeki Ishizuka serves as the Vice Chairman and Representative Corporate Executive Officer of Sony. He also bears the following responsibilities:
- Assistance for Electronics Domain
- Storage Media Business – Officer in charge
- Disc Manufacturing Business – Officer in charge
- Quality Management – Officer in charge
Hiroki Totoki is the Executive Deputy President and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of Sony Corporation.
Toru Katsumoto is the CTO (Chief Technology Officer) and Executive Deputy President of the group. He has the following additional responsibilities:
- Research & Development – Officer in charge
- President, Research & Development Hub
- Assistance for Healthcare Business
Terushi Shimizu is the Senior Executive Vice President of Sony Corporation. He has the following responsibilities:
- Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation – President and CEO and Representative Director
- Imaging & Sensing Solutions Business – Officer in charge
- Sony LSI Design Inc. – President and Representative Director
- Sony Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation – President and Representative Director
Tsuyoshi Kodera is the Executive Vice President of Sony Group and has the following responsibilities:
- CDO (Chief Digital Officer)
- Corporate DX Office – Senior General Manager
- Information Systems, Digital Transformation Planning, and Data Security – Officer in charge
Sony Group Corporation Philanthropy and Community Participation
EYE SEE Campaign
Sony Corporation is dynamically participating in the EYE SEE campaign held by UNICEF.
Digital photography workrooms for the EYE SEE campaign have been in operation for kids in the following nations:
- South Africa
The Sony Canada Charitable Foundation
SCCF or The Sony Canada Charitable Foundation is a charitable establishment that sponsors three eminent foundations;
- The United Way of Canada
- The Make-A-Wish Canada
- The EarthDay and ECOKIDS program
South Africa Mobile Library Campaign
The company supports SAPESI (The South Africa Primary Education Support Initiative) via funding and book contributions for kids to the South Africa Mobile Library Campaign.
Open Planet Ideas Crowdsourcing Campaign
The company introduced its Open Planet Ideas Crowdsourcing Campaign in collaboration with IDEO, the design group, and the World Wildlife Fund.
Sony Foundation and You Can
Following the Victorian wildfires and the 2011 inundations in Queensland, Australia Sony Music published aid albums with funds collected being transferred to the Sony Foundation. Sony Foundation initiated You Can as its youth cancer program.
The Sony Global Relief Fund for COVID-19
At the time of the COVID-19 pandemic situation, the company set up an aid fund in agreement with other technology and media firms to help people associated with the academic, healthcare, and entertainment industries.
Street Football Arena Campaign
At the time of the 2014 World Cup held in Brazil, the company collaborated with streetfootballworld and introduced the Street Football Arena Campaign for aiding football-oriented academic courses in regional residential districts throughout Brazil and Latin America. Over twenty-five, Street Arenas were built since the origination of the campaign.
Sony Group Corporation Financials (2021)
(All values are in trillion Japanese Yen ¥ unless otherwise stated)
Sony Group Corporation Stock Performance
Data given below has been procured on September 8, 2021 at 3 pm Japan Standard Time.
The viewpoint of Sony Group Corporation
The goal of Sony Group Corporation is to satisfy the world with feelings with the strength of innovativeness and technology. The values they adopt to fulfill their objectives include diversity, inquisitiveness, honesty, reliability, and environment-friendliness.
Disclaimer: This article has been authored to help students and employees of various business and finance domains. It is worth mentioning that you should not implement it for your investment decisions. It is always practical to discuss with your investment advisor while you’re considering any kind of investment.