What is Moringa?
Moringa Oleifera is a plant whose all parts, including Moringa leaves, oil, seeds, sap, bark, and even the Moringa leaf powder provide excessive health benefits. Moringa is native to the Indian subcontinent. The plant has been in use in the Indian traditional Ayurvedic treatments and medicinal practices since ancient times. The Moringa plant is also grown in other subtropical regions of the world, including Africa and the Americas. The Moringa leaves are traditionally known to remedy the following:
- Joint pain
- Heart health
- Bacterial, viral, and fungal infections
- Long-lasting inflammation
- Low Immunity
When the Moringa leaves are eaten in the natural form, they have no side effects. Hence, they have been used in curries, lentil soups, stir fry vegetables, and other dishes in Indian cuisine since ancient times. However, today, all the health benefits of Moringa are made more accessible to us with the help of science. Moringa products are today available as the popular and versatile Moringa leaf powder, Moringa supplement, Moringa capsules, Moringa pills, and even Moringa tea.
What does Moringa do?
Recent research in the properties and health benefits of Moringa has shown how it is beneficial in a wide range of cases. The following are some of the many health benefits of Moringa:
- Cancer: Studies have shown how the Moringa leaves, Moringa powder, Moringa bark and oil, all have anti-cancer properties. Moringa leaf extract helps in chemotherapy.
- Diabetes: Moringa compounds have been shown to control the body’s blood sugar levels by affecting insulin resistance and circulation.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Moringa leaf also contains calcium and properties that reduce pain and provide relief.
- Memory: experts believe that Moringa powder benefits the functioning of the brain as it contains valuable antioxidants and other chemicals.
- Cholesterol: Moringa has properties that have been known to control cholesterol levels in the body.
- Immunity: undoubtedly, all the health benefits, the Moringa nutritional facts, make it a major immunity booster.
- Liver: Moringa is rich in polyphenols that help to keep the liver healthy by preventing oxidative damage.
- Digestion: Moringa has powerful chemicals that help in the digestion of food in general and can also keep acidity away.
- Weight loss: Moringa leaves have properties that help to increase the fat burning of your body.
- Bone health: Moringa Oleifera is full of Calcium and Magnesium. These minerals help to strengthen the bones and prevent diseases like spondylitis, osteoarthritis, or osteoporosis.
- Arsenic toxicity: quite amazingly, animal-based lab tests have shown that Moringa can even counter arsenic toxicity which otherwise can be carcinogenic.
- Skin and hair: Moringa is abundant in nutrients and antioxidants. It contains some 30 antioxidants. All these help to keep the skin cells rejuvenated and induces a healthy and glowing look to the skin. A paste of Moringa leaves can help to fight dandruff on the hair and is also known to treat hair loss.
How to use Moringa powder?
The Moringa powder is made from ground and dried moringa leaves. The Moringa leaf powder has an earthy fresh taste and is mild. This is why it goes well with many different recipes:
- You can sprinkle it into guacamole, soups, hummus, salads, sweet potato toast, or avocado toast for breakfast and lunches.
- Bake it into your favorite zucchini bread
- Mix it with your favorite energy balls.
- Mix it into your green morning smoothie.
- Simply use it like matcha by whisking it into hot water. This can be a great substitute for caffeine-free coffee.
- If you are too ambitious, go ahead and make your own Indian vegetarian curry with some added Moringa leaves. Spice up your curry! Enjoy with some freshly boiled rice or some traditional Indian bread like naan or chapatti!
You must try the Kiva Organic Moringa Leaf Powder or the Kuli Kuli Pure Organic Moringa Vegetable Powder. It is not difficult to find Moringa powder online or in health and grocery stores. One can find a wide range of products and options. Moringa teas are also very common and easily available. You must try Republic of Tea Organic Moringa SuperHerb or Traditional Medicinals Organic Moringa With Spearmint and Sage.
What are the side effects and precautions?
Studies on human subjects have declared Moringa leaf powder to be safe even in large doses. The Moringa plant has been declared as a most healthy inclusion to your diet. But it does not mean that it is free from any kind of side effect. There may not be any universally prescribed dosage for these Moringa products but you must follow the instructions on the respective packaging. Pregnant women are advised to not consume Moringa products. The chemicals found in them might affect the uterine system and cause contractions. But lactating mothers, on the other hand, are often advised to consume Moringa products. This is because the rich nutrients and vitamins in the Moringa plant provide great health benefits for the mother and the breastfeeding baby.
Moringa seeds and moringa seed extract when consumed can increase the levels of toxicity in immune cells. Hence, it should be avoided in large doses. Further, Moringa can also induce a laxative side effect if eaten in large quantities. This can lead to indigestion or stomach upset. Hence, it is suggested, to begin with, a small dose of ½ to 1 teaspoon per day and adjust to all its effects early on. And yes, Moringa products are not regulated by the FDA yet. But we do not doubt that the companies are not fools to invest in such a health-benefiting super plant! Nevertheless, it is important to not exceed the daily dosage of your Moringa. Consulting your doctor is always recommended.
What is the taste of Moringa?
As mentioned earlier, Moringa powder tastes earthy and mild. It tastes a lot like other greens. Moringa leaf powder has frequently been compared to spirulina and matcha powder. Further, the Moringa seeds taste sweet when first put in the mouth. But then, they turn bitter upon chewing. Moringa seeds are an acquired taste. Besides, we all know how the healthiest of things don’t necessarily taste the very best. Considering that, Moringa is far better than perhaps Castor oil or your regular allopathic medicines. Moringa powder is natural and organic. It can give you nothing but satisfaction upon consuming it, knowing the health benefits that it brings along with itself.
Selecting, Preparing, and Storing Moringa tree products:
We now know how Moringa tree products have been in use for centuries. All its parts have found beneficial use in traditional culture and cuisine. Today Moringa products are also available as Moringa capsules, Moringa pills, Moringa supplement, Moringa powder, Moringa leaf extract, dried Moringa pods, Moringa seeds, and Moringa tea. It is advisable to store the products in a cool and dry place and to use them judiciously. It is always advisable to consult a medical expert, dietician, or doctor to get a particular product that suits your personal health requirements. But whatever your condition might be, a little dose of Moringa every day will do nothing but good to your overall health.