Nowadays, we often hear the word robotics yet we do not have enough information about it. Robotics is a comparatively new concept and it is evolving at a very fast pace. It has a wide range of applications in many industries across the world.
What is Robotics?
Now, what is robotics? Robotics is an interdisciplinary field of research at the boundary between engineering and computer science. It incorporates the invention, manufacture, functioning, and application of robots. The objective of robotics is to devise smart devices that can aid humans in their everyday lives and ensure safety for everybody.
The field of robotics utilizes the accomplishment of computer engineering, information engineering, electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, and other areas.
Robotics design devices that can replace humans and copy human activities. In various circumstances, the application of robots takes place for different intentions.
However, currently, robots have their applications in hazardous circumstances such as the following:
- Manufacturing procedures
- Testing of radioactive substances, bomb detection, and defusing
- Areas where humans cannot live (for example subaquatic, in space, in intense heat, and decluttering and inhibition of harmful substances and radioactivity).
Robots can assume any shape but some are manufactured to look like humans in the visual aspect. This is supposed to assist in the recognition of a robot, in particular, imitating conducts typically executed by human beings. These robots endeavour to imitate lifting, walking, perception, voice communication, or any other human action. Several present-day robots are prompted by nature, leading to the domain of bio-motivated robotics.
Robotics is a subcategory of engineering that incorporates the invention, blueprint, manufacture, and activities of robots. This area converges with domains like computer science (particularly artificial intelligence), computer engineering, mechatronics, electronics, nanotechnology, mechanical engineering, and bioengineering.
Applications of Robotics
Robotics has a wide range of applications and as the development of robots is increasing in numbers, this system of categorization is getting growingly pertinent. For instance, some robots are devised for assembly operations and this cannot be promptly convertible for other uses. These robots are referred to as “assembly robots”. Some vendors render comprehensive welding structures with the robot for seam welding. Put simply, the welding apparatus together with other substance managing attributes such as circular revolving platforms works as a unified segment. This type of unified robotic arrangement is termed as “welding robot”. Despite the fact that its distinct operator component is customizable to a range of jobs. Framing of some robots is mainly to handle heavy loads. These types of robots are tagged as “heavy-duty robots”.
Existing and prospective robotics applications include the following:
- Industrial robots. Since the 1960s, the usage of robots is growing in industries. As laid down by the data furnished by the Robotic Industries Association US, the automobile sector in 2016 was the principal buyer of industrial robots with 52% of overall sales. In the automobile manufacturing sector, they can be tantamount to over 50% of the “workforce”. Many top-rated vehicle manufacturers are now adopting automotive robotics. There are instances of “lights off” manufacturing plants like an IBM keyboard-making plant in Texas that was completely automated way back in 2003.
- Military or armed forces robots.
- Agricultural robots, also known as AgRobots. The application of robots in cultivation is intimately associated with the notion of AI-aided satellite farming and drone application. Studies conducted from 1996 to 1998 substantiated that robots can carry out a shepherding job as well.
- Construction robots. These robots are available in three categories: robotic arm, old-fashioned robots, and robotic exoskeleton.
- Collaborative robots, also known as cobots.
- Kitchen automation. Business instances of kitchen automation include Zume Pizza (pizza), Flippy (burgers), Makr Shakr (cocktails), Cafe X (coffee), Sally (salads), and Frobot (frozen yoghurts). House instances include Boris (dishwasher loading) and Rotimatic (flatbreads baking).
- Medical robotics companies use different kinds of robots (for example, Hospi and da Vinci Surgical System).
- Cleansing of polluted places like nuclear plants or poisonous waste.
- Household robots.
- Swarm or crowd robotics.
- Robot combat for amusement – It is a pastime or fun affair where two or more robots combat in a ring to incapacitate one another. This has evolved from a pastime in the 90s too many TV programs spanning throughout the world.
- Athletics ground line marking.
- Self-directed drones.
Top Robotics Companies around the World
The top robotics companies around the world contributing to the revolution in robotics are the following:
- CANVAS Technology
- Diligent Robotics
- Piaggio Fast Forward
- Bluefin Robotics
- Boston Dynamics
- Left Hand Robotics
- Applied Aeronautics
- Harvest Automation
- Rethink Robotics
Robotics is becoming indispensable in human life and in the future, people expect that human-robot collaboration will diversify into entirely new shapes.